30 December 2020

What a Covid Year.

2020 has been blessed cursed with a virus called the coronavirus since the end of 2019. First few cases were detected in Wuhan, China. Without us knowing the contagious level.. it is slowly spreading to the world one at a time like a silent wildfire.


It was truly a reflective, emotional, rough year for many.


What about yourself? How have it affected you, pk?

Well as one of the first frontliners, I have no words but to fight. To fight the virus at my utmost capabilities which includes gowning myself up in full PPE (personal protective equipment), suffocate myself with n95 mask while doing nursing task and to suffer the physical pressure marks on the skin after that.

Just to care for my patients, to ensure people surrounding me are safe and free from this infectious virus...


...

T-0.

Almost 5 Months. Sounds short but feels so long. 

Deployment to NCID ICU whom now we called the OICU (Outbreak ICU) has been nothing but the BEST, enriching and one of the most memorable nursing experiences I'll remember for many years down the road.

I still remember everything was pretty abrupt with so many changes (especially the hospital protocols) going on at the same time. Human deployments, revamping of wards, shuffling of manpower, adjustment to different settings, intensive trainings and more trainings to standby in the midst of this outbreak.

One thing for sure, is that we're all trained to be flexible in all directions.

...


During my first few weeks here, my face felt the immerse tense and the extreme pain from the pressure marks due to prolonged wear of n95 masks and goggles. Pimples emerging every other days, stress level fluctuates based on the updated hospital protocols. It was really rather crazy.

But what kept me going was the peeps whom I worked with. From experiencing horror circuit breaker together (a sad period of going to work and home only), looking at the active covid-19 cases rising daily and hopelessly, sweat in full PPE together while nursing to..  sharing meals, joy and laughter together during meal break. Bless the wonderful amazing comrades whom I met in NCID that become the source of my life battery and truly kept me sane until today.


We definitely have had our fair share of chill, busy and tough times fighting this coronavirus together.

Our fluctuate census is the one that always makes us feel so drained out physically, mentally and emotionally. No ALs while the manpower of staffing are quite stiff and limited. I have worked 9 months continuously without any annual leaves and yes I miss my home, my Malaysia , my family and yes its' a crazy journey.

However, I must say thank Covid-19 for bringing all of us (the nurses from MICU, SICU, CCU, NICU from the main TTSH building and nurses from other hospitals) together to work collaboratively despite the disciplines, to operate outbreak ICUs with our fellow NCID comrades.

Thankfully, I've met many of you who are all of good souls, who kept pumping me up, who work hand in hand together to ensure we all go back on time. I truly appreciate that all of you peeps who are so heartwarming, welcoming me with open arms and kindness, not to forget "Eh, ho bo!" (Eh, how are you!) kind of greeting from a dear friend who makes me feel, we're one big OICU family. :))

Thank you for the outbreak ICU experience, thank you for journeying this together with me, fellow comrades! I will miss all the stressful, painful moments/experiences and laughter together while working together as a team.

3F will always have a special place in my heart with all of you -good, kind peeps that make work so much bearable and makes me feel so much at home (despite the super cold environment) during this difficult period. Thank you for that. Thank you for the kind accommodation, thank you for the invaluable experiences, thank you for the friendship. All these will be kept so closely in my heart!


Covid-19 is not entirely over yet, fam. Perhaps it's more under control but we shall not take it too lightly. 

May this covid season will end quickly so we all will be reunited with our loved ones and of course travel again soon although travel would feel/mean differently next time. Praying hard everyday, forever and always. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Let's stay hygienic and vigilant together. :)

It's been a great honour, my friends!

Forget me not,

2/4/2020- 29/8/2020.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Thoughts? They are always welcomed here :)

Photobucket