18 December 2015

Gratitude ;

Good news today!

My patient is discharged with her baby girl just this afternoon :) #cheers

.......
Being able to nurse this patient is definitely a golden opportunity for me and my learning experience. Two weeks ago, she was diagnosed with Extended Breech in which she was supposed to do ECV (External Cephalic Version) in the ward initially but baby girl inside the tummy decided to descend a stage further to mummy's pelvic hence the plan for ECV failed.


Mummy's diagnosis was changed to Engaged Breech and she was planned for Caesarian section instead. Feeling all nervous as this was her first time having her baby sitting on her pelvic bone rather than the other way around, she can't stop thinking how did it happen and how C-section is gonna be. Albeit feeling anxious, she was willing to answer my strings of questions and was kind enough to give me her permission to do physical examination on her with my tutor. :) #gratitude

The abdominal palpation experience was sure an interesting one. Imagine a baby sitting on a pelvic bone with her lower limbs extended up to mummy's left abdomen and her upper limbs are probably hugging her own self, finding her comfort zone while she lies comfortably under mummy's tummy.
Baby's tiny lower limbs were easily felt that day. Her fetal heart rate was the best thing I ever heard and it was so loud and clear :')


A day after, which was the day she needed to go for C-section, mummy's hubby was finally here to give his best moral support! I know that mummy looked calm on the outside but deep down, she felt nervous as hell. You really can tell by the look of it. Hubby was equally anxious as the wife, needless to say as this can considered as one of the major operations for both of them and also for the little baby who was coming out soon.

As we pushed the stretcher to the general operating theatre, hubby was holding his wife's hands, walking along with the moving stretcher while holding his bag with another hand.

Upon reaching the entrance of the reception bay, one of the staff nurses announced,

"Alright. Both of you can wave goodbye here. Kiss or hug, do whatever you need!" in a joking way.


All of us were stunned for a while and then staff nurse corrected,
"Urmm I meant kiss each other's hands y'know.....", understanding our stunned expression and all of us laughed.


Mummy kissed her hubby's hands, in the meantime giving apology, and the husband did the same.
#thatlovingandsweetmoment
While ticking away the peri-operative checklist in the reception bay, O.T. staff nurse asked,


"So what is the operation that you're going to do today, mummy?"
"Operation of extracting my baby out, nurse." saying it in a darn cool tone.

Everybody laughed again.

I'm amazed by how positive she was at that moment, who still can cracked jokes although she must be feeling extremely jittery inside. I was glad to see her being so optimistic. :)) I prayed hard, for a sucessful operation, for her and her baby girl's safety and health.

As she was wheeled into the room, she sent goodbye kissed to all of us, especially to her husband who was waiting anxiously outside. Every time the door is opened, he would jumped out of his seat to ask about his wife, etc. To be frank, I have never seen anybody (especially husband) so nervous like him (only in movies) but I find it utterly sweet when he constantly asked about his wife although he was acting like he was the one who undergoing the operation but in fact he was just feeling as equally nervous as the wife.
I don't know why but I find #thissolovingandsweet <3

On the following day, I was told that a 2.5 kg baby girl was successfully taken out from mummy's tummy which both mummy and baby girl are safe and sound. #sooooglad
Unfortunately, baby was sent to special care nursery due to hypoglycemia :(
Thankfully, mummy appeared cheerful although baby was not by her side for her to breastfeed.



On the 4th day, baby girl was finally discharged from SCN and admitted to the ward! #woohoo
I did top and tail for her today with the help of my friend. :) Baby girl is sho sho sho cute :> She did not cry a lot when I was cleaning her, just a little wailing when her cord was cleaned using surgical spirit. Haha, otherwise she was all good and well.... cute :>


Since baby girl passed urine and motion, she and her mummy were allowed to discharge! #yays
So I went to talk to her before she was prepared to go back home. We had a little chat about the whole process, from her being admitted to the ward, to C-section, to today, which she was going to discharged with her precious second child. 


She said,

"The operation was quite quick for me. I went in at 12.30pm and came out to the recovery room at 1.45pm. As soon as I was wheeled out from the operating theatre, my husband was relief to see me and our daughter, and good god, he paid more attention to our daughter than me! He can't stop saying how cute our daughter is. Hmmph!"


I grinned for her little complain, yet I find it so sweet, the relationship between all of them. :))

I told her about how her husband went so anxious and worried about her and the baby when she was wheeled into the operating room. Upon hearing, she was touched and thanked God for everything -her husband, her successful C-section, her daughter, etc.


She continued,

"Along the process, I want to thank YOU, girl for always helping me throughout, asking about my concerns and my well being. You are very helpful, hardworking (to ask questions), polite and patient. Please keep it up! Being patient is definitely a golden value that will bring you far in life. Whatever you do, even if you get scolded by anyone, always be patient. Because by being patient, you will be able to go through all the hardships, and the outcome will always be good in the end."

"So thank you, again girl. I appreciate all your kindness and help all this while. I will always pray for your success in your future endeavors. Good luck to you and don't forget to be kind to everyone you meet!"

....
I was beyond thankful for what she said to me. When I was doing what I should be doing, helping people with all I can, with my skills and ability (which to be completely honest), I wasn't hoping for any compliments nor expecting any kind comments like this. 


But having a patient that I nursed from the day I started to work at antenatal/postnatal since Monday until today, seeing the whole process of her from still having her baby bump with a breech presentation to wheeling her to O.T. for C-section to seeing her again at the ward with a compressed stomach and then to the day when she is completely discharged (today), it just feels wonderful. I definitely feel accomplished not by what she said, but being able to nurse her from the beginning until the end.
Y'know the feeling when she wants nobody else but me when it comes to helping and nursing her? I am definitely feeling very privileged and I guess what makes me very glad is that she trusts me. :))



This mummy is thankful for all my assistance and help but you know what, mummy?
Thank YOU for giving me the opportunity, chances, and most importantly, TRUST.
I will always pray for you and your family's well being and if fate permits, we'll definitely meet again. :)


I can't promise (you, mummy) but I'll try to drop by at your Apom Balik's stall (opposite BSN at S2) if I happened to be around the area :D
....................

"Always think positive, girl. Be patient and you'll definitely go far in life."


This is definitely an experience that I am going to remember for a long time. :)


P/S : This is not a bragging/show off post. Rather, I want to be reminded that this is the reason why I still hold into nursing and how it gives me so much satisfaction and accomplishment by simple little things you do to people.
PP/S : I'm glad. I'm really really glad that I chose this. I don't really hope for my posting to end this soon, honestly speaking. Gonna treasure the rest of the days. :))


xx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Thoughts? They are always welcomed here :)

Photobucket